Monday, March 26, 2007

Let Battle Commence

Fresh from an enforced laptop replacement, I've finally bit the bullet and committed to a new desktop machine.

Some of the key specs for those who are that way inclined - 2.1Ghz Viiv Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB RAM, 500GB hard drive (2 x 250 with RAID 0), 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 PRO graphics card, Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme sound card.

All pretty impressive. I can remember my first ever computer being a Sinclair ZX Spectrum, and mighty chuffed I was to get the top-of-the-range 48k model. These days there's probably 48k of memory in the average pencil sharpener.

RAID disk striping in a domestic PC. How times change!

Yet those stats are but the precursors to the key detail. Monitor size...

I couldn't resist it. It was just too tempting, and the price was too low to resist.

I went for the 24" Ultrasharp LCD monitor. Multitabling heaven here I come!

The next few days I'm away on work duties, but hopefully soon after my return the Dell delivery man will be calling and serious business will commence.

I'm optimistic the new set up will pay for itself over time. I've no doubt I can four table successfully but doing it with overlaid screens has been a pain, and even the resizeable poker tables on Stars, Party, and my new buddy Everest, can be awfully hard on the eyes over a sustained period of time.

The new PC should have me firing on all cylinders, and if I need motivation, I'll just need to check my credit card bill to remind me to get to work on the tables.

2 comments:

Steven said...

I'm building a desktop and trying to figure out if RAID 0 would help my pokertracker, real time, and holdem manager performance. Do you think the improvement is significant?

Here's what I'm concerned about... the average hand history file is less than 128kb (stripe size), so what is getting split up?

Div said...

Steven, RAID 0 came as standard, I didn't actively seek it out.

As you say, I doubt it does much good in my set-up.

If you are looking to get the most from your Pokertracker performance, I reckon more memory is probably most significant, followed by a decent CPU.

Not that I've studied this in great detail!