Saturday, September 24, 2005

Further Adventures In Omaha (and Orwell)

I've had a blast tonight on the PokerStars $50 Pot Limit Omaha tables.

Having recouped all my losses from the insanely misguided session earlier this week, I even added some black numbers to the bankroll spreadsheet.

I played three tables, making unspectacular progress on two, but absolutely killing the third. Every draw hit, every bluff got through, I was flying.

Some of the hands people will call down with beggar belief.

Anything less than a set on the flop gets my nerves jangling if someone calls my bet, yet time and again I see people drawing to straights when there's a flush draw out, calling down with two pair when there's been a bet and a call on a flush board, or raising with two pair into someone with top set.

What can be frustrating is having an obvious fish lay some crazy suckout on me, then watching helpless as they donate their entire stack to someone else on the very next hand.

In a limit hold em game, most half-decent players would be licking their lips when they spot a table with VPIP beyond 50%. Some of these PLO tables are running at 70-80% VPIP and this is big bet poker - the buy-in might only be $50 but some of the pots are approaching $100.

Added to the financial and fun aspects, I also hit a new milestone in my online poker experience. My first ever chat yellow card from PokerStars support.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was a tad harsh. I've seen some real redneck stuff in the chat across the various sites I play on. Generally I ignore it, or when I'm in mischievous mode I go for a teasing riposte.

My weakness is while I can usually (but not always) hold fire when some fish rivers me - not wanting to scare them away - I sometimes can't resist sticking my tuppence worth into other people's discussions.

The action tonight was that one player had laid a river suckout on his foe, and was taking some flak for it. His riposte was along the lines 'My BR is more than you've won in your life'.

Now that's the second time this week I've heard that line. A few days ago some muppet was claiming he was superior to the rest of the table as he had won $20,000 last year.

You show me someone who won $20,000 last year and is playing $50 PLO this year, and I'll show you a moron who can't manage money.

So tonight I couldn't resist a little dig of my own. The entire extent of which was 'BR? Bull**** ratio?' (N.B. I used **** in the actual chat)

The guy continued his little verbal war for a few more minutes before leaving without making any comment to me. Literally five minutes later I get a popup warning in the Stars client, and an email message...

"We have received a complaint regarding some things you said in chat at our tables. I have reviewed the chat log and did find some of your comments to be inappropriate.

Our goal at PokerStars is to be a fun place to play, where everyone can feel comfortable. Foul language and abuse of other players takes away from everyone's enjoyment, and therefore cannot be permitted.

We must ask you to refrain from using this type of language in the future, or we will be forced to remove your chat privileges.

Please note that you may not be the only one receiving a message such as this. When we receive a chat complaint, we review the entire chat of all players at the table.
Any other offenders at the table were also warned or revoked as appropriate to our policies.

Regards,

Gabriel
PokerStars Support Team

---
26968401 bull**** ratio? 4 9/23/2005 7:25:40 PM"

Now, full marks to Stars for speed of action. Their support is clearly a notch above most sites, but come on! What a load of crap. If I'd omitted the **** would it still have been inappropriate. Orwell comes to online poker!

Anyway, the table was still going with most of the same players, so I couldn't resist mentioning it. Cue much hilarity/incredulity, and on with the game!

No comments: