Saturday, January 08, 2005

Oh What A Night!!

Well, I DID say these SnGs could be a rollercoaster ride. Tonight I played nine SnG with the following results:

5th, 7th, 3rd, 4th, 10th, 10th, 7th, 6th, 1st

My worst ever run, finally redeemed at 2 a.m. by a first to bring me back to a smallish loss for the evening. Only two paid finishes.

I started with a few mediocre games, which I spent grumbling to myself about lack of decent hole cards. By game nine I was praying for 72o. In one night I lost with pocket aces three times, and pocket kings once.

I'll spare you the gory details, but I like to use the Hold Em calculator on Cardplayer to check out my losing plays and see what I did wrong. Of the plays where I felt I'd had a bad beat, the worst odds I had to win at the point where I got all my chips in was 2/1 favourite. The best odds were a whopping 11/1, where my top pair of aces were defeated by running spades on turn and river for a flush draw. To be fair to my opponent, he had flopped A23 of spades, so I think he was giving rather too much value to the faint possibility of a straight flush.

Rest assured the air was blue for a few moments after each game. Two beers and some deep breathing exercises later, I'm actually quite happy. I hope those guys are back tomorrow, and I pray they haven't changed their style, because this is a war, not a battle, and if they keep giving me those odds, their money will be mine eventually.

No comments: